Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dragon Fruit Chiffon Cake......another of my random baking experiment





I eat practically most vegetables and fruit, however, dragon fruit somehow didn't get to catch my attention, particularly the red ones. This is also my first time buying the fruit hoping to develop the liking for it. Sadly, after keeping the neglected fruit for several days, I decided to use to for baking rather than allowing the poor fruit to waste away in vain.




Most recipes I searched usually use it for cheesecake, desserts or cake frosting, I was not prepared to spend too much time on making a cheesecake today. Neither do I intend to turn it into cake frosting or dessert when my maid is no longer my lab rat as she has been diligently dieting for the past few months. I can totally understand her reasons since I was the culprit who put her in the inflated state ever since I started baking fervently.

Luckily I still have a group of regular fans from my husband's workplace who used to place order for my previous baking projects. Why projects and not products? Because, I only offer to make them whatever pastries or bakes I never tried making and menu was totally up to me to decide. I am grateful towards their support when they periodically place weekly order and pay with no questions ask. I miss those times :(


Looking back, those were wonderful times. They still ask me when I am reverting back to my mass baking projects every time I visit my husband's office. I politely turn their offer down by occasionally dropping my impromptu cakes or kuihs to the office for their light sampling, I just don't have the time as I did before. 

Nevertheless, bread baking and cooking is still taking place at home, I just don't share my bread recipes nor pictures as regularly as I did on Facebook a year ago. In my opinion, its less time consuming to post and share recipes on Facebook than through a blog, and now after starting updating my blog I couldn't agree more on that. Indeed it is taking much more pictures and time writing and sharing one posting.

Anyway, enough of my lengthy talk. Here is the recipe of my never attempted before cake. The cake is moist and fluffy. Worth a try!


Dragon Fruit Chiffon Cake
( Recipe enough for 2x 20cm Chiffon Mould)

(A)
100g Corn Oil
120g UHT Fresh Milk
20g Castor Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
160g Red Dragon Fruit (Cut and blend into paste)
180g Cake Flour 
1 tsp Red yeast rice powder
144g Egg Yolks (Lightly beaten)

(B)
280g Egg Whites
100g Castor Sugar
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
70g Dragon Fruit, Diced (Was 90g, I suggest to cut 
         down to 70g as I had to extend the baking time longer 
         as the fruit the ripen towards soft and mushy)


Directions: 

  • Using a hand held whisk,  mix (A) corn oil, fresh milk, castor sugar, salt and dragon fruit paste together until thoroughly blended. Fold in the sifted cake flour, red yeast rice powder followed by the egg yolks until evenly mixed. Set aside.

  • In a separate mixing bowl, (B) beat the egg whites until frothy. Add sugar and cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks (ribbon stage).

  • Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into (A) batter until well combined. Fold in the balance egg whites, using light and quick strokes fold mixture until fully incorporated. Drop in the dragon fruit cubes.

  • Pour the batter onto the prepared mould, give it a lightly drop to release the air bubbles. Transfer the mould into a preheated oven of 155C degrees and bake in the second lowest layer of the oven for 35-40 mins (depending on your oven temperature and size of mould). Move the cake to the middle rack and continue to bake for another 5 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.

  • Remove cake from oven. Invert the cake pan. Remove the pan once the cake has cooled.

















No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...